May 7, 2022
Mission Action Plan for Christ Church
I mentioned to you in a recent article that your vestry and clergy have been designing a Mission Action Plan (MAP) for Christ Church. We will be meeting for another 3-hour session this Saturday May 7th, (probably around the time you receive this message), to further listen to God and each other. Please pray for us. As soon as we have clarified our 2022-2023 priorities, our next step will be to share the MAP document with you and invite your responses. We have organized the MAP around the five marks of mission shared by the entire Anglican Communion:
1. To proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom
2. To teach, baptise and nurture (new) believers
3. To respond to human need by loving service
4. To transform unjust structures of society, to challenge violence of every kind and pursue peace and reconciliation
5. To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation, and sustain and renew the life of the earth
We supplemented our self-examination and envisioning by looking at Christ Church through the lens of the Diocese of London’s “Seven Marks of a Healthy Church,” which include:
1. Energized by faith rather than just keeping things going or trying to survive
2. Outward-looking focus with a 'whole life' rather than a 'church life' concern
3. Seeks to find out what God wants, e.g. discerning the Spirit’s leaning rather than trying to please
4. Faces the cost of change and growth rather than resisting change and avoiding failure
5. Operates as a community rather than functioning as a club or religious organisation
6. Makes room for all, being inclusive rather than exclusive.
7. Does a few things and does them well; focused rather than frenetic.
These marks of mission and health will shape every dimension of our togetherness as we move into the upcoming 5 years of following Christ. Everyone’s input will be valuable as we look for ways to more actively and positively impact and transform our spheres of influence, for God’s honor and glory.