Oct 1, 2021
You Might Be Just in Time...
• For the long-delayed Garage Sale at church from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., Friday, October 1, and Saturday, October 2. It’s an important fundraiserfor the parish by the Guild. Bring a friend.
• The 11 a.m. service this Sunday, October 3, with a pandemic-safe twist on our annual blessing of pets as part of the observation of the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi. Water will be blessed in small containers with which you can asperge (OK, sprinkle) your little or big friend at home ,and say a prayer that will be provided.
• To celebrate British Harvest Sunday at that 11 a.m. service by bringing non-perishable food items, socks, and adult diapers, which will be blessed, for our human friends at La Casa Hogar Divina Providencia orphanage.
What you’re definitely in time for is a “virtual” visit on Zoom with the two candidates to be our next Bishop. Rvdo. Óscar García Ramírez will be available on Saturday, October 9, at 6 p.m., as will Muy Rvda. Sally Sue Hernández García the following Saturday, October 16, at 6 p.m.
Their bios can be seen here: https://www.eleccionepiscopal2021.org.mx/candidatos.html
To get a link for the Zoom meeting, send an e-mail to Linda Saucedo at email@example.com.
Linda recommends that you get your question(s) ready. The meetings will be in Spanish.
The actual election, on Nov. 6, will be open only to the delegates from each parish in our Diocese.
And in you’re in time to send prayers and best wishes for a great vacation to our rector, Rev. Elisabeth Sinclair, and her husband, Rev. Bryan Spoon. They’re in Ireland. Her weekly column will resume when they’re back.
MEMORIES OF CHRIST CHURCH
It is difficult to find and play back just a single fond memory. However, I certainly would invite people to recall the solemnity and significance of Christ Church's Remembrance Day services. (The accompanying pipes and drums of St. Patrick's Battalion always are so stirring.) Given the current ongoing clashes in the world, those services – that take the time to name its many Fallen – remain as poignant as they are significant. Witnessing the union of British, French, German, and Russian military attaches, albeit briefly, teaches us all one of the most important lessons in the world in a most profound way.
Seeing where Christ Church came from, too, walking through the evocative lateVictorian Gothic ruins on Articulo 123, downtown, has stayed in my mind.
Finally, not to stay in the past, the superb choral services celebrating Christmas cannot be bettered anyway in Mexico. Or, undoubtedly, in many a thousand parishes abroad.
Tom Wingate (snr.)
We're still looking for stories with your favorite memories, most cherished aspects, and funny stories about Christ Church to share in upcoming publications. Please send these to Mary Rosa : firstname.lastname@example.org. They don't have to be long! This is a way to experience connection with each other even while many of us are separated.
And other reminders from Mother Elisabeth:
• We are entering Stewardship Season, an intentional time to take account of the ways God has blessed us and consider how we may share those blessings. If you made a pledge for 2021 and need to catch up, now is the perfect time. Also, please be praying even now about what financial pledge you may be able to make toward Christ Church’s life and ministry in 2022.
• Do you, or someone you know, need quiet, lovely office space? Christ Church has some vacant offices available above the church offices. Please call Christ Church with serious inquiries only, and we can provide more information regarding financial arrangements. Office space can be available for short-term or long-term needs.
• Members of Christ Church's vestry and other volunteers hope to soon begin calling parishioners to learn how you are, verify your contact info and preferred way of receiving updates, answer questions you may have about church, etc.
• Since we are now in semaforo "amarillo"/yellow, we are able to welcome more people in each service. Children are welcome (!), though it may be safer for families with unvaccinated children to sit in the outdoor chairs.
September 30, 2021